Monday, April 02, 2007

All about the Keys

Key workouts are the important workouts in any training program and very important working and building towards an IRONMAN.

My key workouts are the long bike rides, the long runs, and long swims, followed by bricks, everything else is in support of these key workouts and overall fitness.

I got in two key workouts this weekend.

Scheduled for Saturday was a brick, but not just any bike/run brick, this was a full swim/bike/run session. The swim was scheduled for 1:30 and I had never swam more than 1:15 or so. So for me, the key part of this brick was not so much the brick, but the swim. I was hoping to swim the IRONMAN distance (4224 yards = 2.4 miles) as well, so I decided that I would swim that distance even if it took longer than the 1:30. Well I swam the distance but I did not get in a full 1:30 swim. The 4250 yards (85 laps) took 1:29:58 so pretty close to 1:30 ;-).

I swam a ladder workout, swimming 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 650. I alternated swimming and pulling (swimming with a pull buoy between your legs for floatation) and took a total of 1 minute 15 seconds rest. I also do not know how to flip turn so do open turns at the walls. All this, leaves me hopeful to swim the 2.4 in Coeur d'Alene in less than 1:30.

Debbie and the kids dropped me off at the pool after soccer with my bike, so after the swim I put on my bike gear at the pool and headed out for an easy one hour bike ride. I got home and was feeling a bit tired and happy about my swim that I was going to skip the easy 30 minute run, Debbie said at least run a couple miles, your going to be tired at the IRONMAN, so I went out and ran a 3.68 mile course around our neighborhood and was very happy I did after.

My key workout on Sunday was a 3:30 bike ride. I met with Pat again, we met about half way between our houses and this time we headed west towards Ferndale, we rode through Ferndale and headed north towards Birch Bay, but because we were only planning 3:30 we did not go all the way into Birch Bay (will do that this Saturday). We stopped midway to refill our water and then headed back towards home. Getting home at about 10:30 in the morning was perfect timing, about 15-20 minutes after being home and showered, Debbie was getting ready for her run and then the downpour started. We had one 5 minute section on the ride of very light showers, and we just missed this very heavy downpour of rain. As it turns out, Debbie waited about 15 minutes and the rain had passed and was turning to sun.

Easter weekend next Sunday, so Pat and I are planning to meet on Saturday for a 4 hour bike ride, we should make it to Birch Bay this time.

No comments: